Hancock Metropolitan Housing Authority

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home FAQ


E-mail Print PDF

Q: What are Housing Choice Vouchers?

Housing choice voucher can be used for any type of private rental housing that meets certain housing quality inspection standards, provided the owner accepts you as a tenant. Landlords retain normal management rights and responsibility, including tenant selection, collection of the tenant’s share of the rent, property management, and lease termination. Rent must be within the limits allowed by the program.

Q: Am I eligible?

Your income must be below 50% of area median income. When awarding vouchers, HMHA gives preference to Veterans (unless the discharges is dishonorable) or Active Duty Military and targeted funding for Disabled (this applies to the head of house, co-head or spouse). You may be denied a voucher as a result of criminal activity, alcohol abuse, or other reasons. Vouchers may also be denied if you owe money to HMHA or another housing authority or a landlord while being previously assisted unless the money has been paid in full.

Q: How does a PHA determine if a family is income eligible?

HMHA compares the family's annual income (gross income) with the HUD-established low-income limit for HMHA’s jurisdiction. The family's gross income cannot exceed this limit. Go to www.http://www.huduser.gov/portal/datasets/il/il2015/select_Geography.odn and search for your location to determine income limits.

Q: Will I be notified of my status on the waiting list?

HMHA will send you written notification within 10 business days of receiving a completed application if it was approved or denied. If you applied after January 1, 2013 you can check the status of your application online at  www.waitlistcheck.com, all other applicants must contact HMHA 419-424-7848 ext 137.

Q: What should I do if my application is denied?

Request an informal review within 10 business days of the date of the denial letter. This gives the applicant an opportunity to dispute the information used for the denial or provide new documentation.

Q: How does HMHA pull from the waiting list?

HMHA waiting list is sorted by Preference (Veterans/Active military), Targeted funding (Disability for Head, Co-head or Spouse), Date and Time of Application.

Q: What is my position number on the waiting list?

Due to the sorting of the waiting list you do not have a position number as the waiting list changes daily.

Q: What happens to my application if the waiting list closes?

While the family is on the waiting list, the family must immediately inform the PHA of changes in contact information, including current residence, mailing address, and phone numbers. The family must also respond to any notices sent from the PHA. If the family continues to keep their application current it will remain active.

Q: How does a family obtain a unit once they have a voucher?

It is the responsibility of a family to find a unit that meets their needs. Once you have found a unit you will have the landlord complete a Request for Tenancy Approval. That form needs to be returned to HMHA. HMHA will determine if the unit income calculates for your household, meets the housing quality standards, the rent is reasonable. Once
all these provisions are met you will sign a lease with the landlord and provide to HMHA.

Q: How much rent do vouchers cover?

HMHA pays the owner the difference between 30 percent of adjusted family income and a HMHA determined payment standard or the gross rent for the unit, whichever is lower. Rent plus utilities may not exceed 40% of the family's income when initially occupying a unit.

 Q: What jurisdiction does HMHA cover?

HMHA services Hancock, Putnam, Hardin and Wyandot Counties.

Q: Can I use my voucher in HMHA’s jurisdiction if it was issued somewhere else?

Yes. You can use (port) your voucher to the area. You need to contact your Case Specialist to initiate the port. Your Case Specialist may contact:

Hancock Metropolitan Housing Authority

1800 N Blanchard St.

Findlay OH 45840

419-424-7848 Phone

419-424-7831 Fax