Program Participants

Report Household and Income Changes

Program participants must use the Household Information Change Form to report any household change to HMHA. Please print and complete the form and return it to HMHA within 10 business days of any change of income, household composition, or contact information. 

These forms are also available at our office. 

Download Household Change Form >

HCV Landlord Referral List


Annual Re-examinations 

Once you become an HCV program participant, HMHA must conduct a reexamination of family income and composition annually. This includes gathering and verifying current information about family composition, income, and expenses. Based on this updated information, the family’s income and rent must be recalculated. 

Re-examination Process: 

The effective date of a regular re-examination is determined when participants are first admitted to the program. Generally, the month of your review does not change. 

  • Prior to the effective date, you will be mailed a re-examination packet. Normally, the process starts around 4 months in advance. 
  • You must complete all documents in the packet and return them by the due date. 
  • You will be notified, in writing, if additional information is needed. 
  • After all required documents are received, your Housing Specialist will review and will follow up with one or more of the HUD-approved methods for obtaining verification of income. 
  • You will be notified in writing of your rent portion including the effective date of the change. 

Failure to return paperwork may result in the termination of your assistance. 

Annual Inspections 

HUD requires the PHA to inspect each unit under lease at least annually to confirm that the unit still meets Housing Quality Standards (HQS). 

Interim Changes (add/remove household members, add/remove income) 

Family circumstances may change throughout the period between annual reexaminations. Once you become an HCV program participant, you will be required to report changes with your household composition and income within 10 business days. Based on this updated information, the family’s income and rent may need to be recalculated. 

Moving within HMHA’s jurisdiction 

After your initial year on the program, you can request to move from your current unit to a different unit within our jurisdiction (Hancock, Hardin, Putnam, or Wyandot Counties) 

See HMHA’s Checklist for Changing Units/The Moving Process 

Contact your Housing Specialist/Caseworker for more information. 


Portability is one of the benefits of the HCV program that enables you to use your Section 8 Voucher assistance in other cities or states outside of our jurisdiction. Portability was created to allow you the freedom to choose which area of the country best suits the needs of your family. 

For additional information about how portability works, please contact your Housing Specialist/Caseworker.


If you or anyone in your family is a person with disabilities, and you require a specific accommodation in order to fully utilize our program and services, please contact Hancock Metropolitan Housing Authority at 419-424-7848. 


HMHA will take affirmative steps to communicate with people who need services or information in a language other than English. Please contact Hancock Metropolitan Housing Authority at 419-424-7848 if require a LEP accommodation.